Network systems comprise thousands of components, including accessories and active hardware. Such systems require accommodation in special cabinets that provide ergonomic storage and effective allocation of all components. Specialized furniture (cabinets and racks) is widely used to house IT systems and ensure their smooth operation over a long period.
Racks are durable multi-layer bodies equipped with tech slots and fasteners. Metal constructions support hardware reliably and allow for accommodating many devices in a small area. Racks can carry OT infrastructure, IT production devices, and accompanying accessories. One of the main purposes of using server furniture is space-saving, since it allows for placing many devices over a small area.
Server Rack Types
Modern manufacturers offer a wide range of models. Server cabinets differ in body types, size, purpose, and pace of installation. Thus, the following server rack types are distinguished:
This type of furniture has only a bottom base and 2 or 4 vertical supports. Frameworks are made of metal or aluminum. The main peculiarity of racks is the absence of doors, tops, and side panels. This feature stands as a pro and con at the same time. Equipment is fastened to either rails or vertical posts that have special holes for attachment. This type of furniture has the following benefits:
- Improved cooling due to free air circulation. The absence of side panels does not hinder the airflow. Thus, the air circulates freely through functioning components, exchanging heat and cooling them down.
- Easy maintenance and access. The tech staff can approach devices from all sides and easily reach any component they need.
- Easy cable wiring. Technicians can design cabling routes themselves and guarantee more effective wiring.
Yet, note that an open framework does not secure devices and cannot prevent damage or pollution due to the negative influence of humans or the environment.
In comparison with other types of racks in data center, the peculiarity of an open body makes it perfect for mounting in data centers or closed spaces, access to which is controlled and limited.
Portable Server Racks
The main feature of this class of furniture is easier movability. This is due to equipping rack bodies with handles or casters for easier relocation. Racks have high-load wheels or side handles to carry or move racks without disassembly. Note that most models imply attaching casters, even if they are not included in the pack. Casters have a loading capacity of 35-105 lb.
If you need a network rack on wheels, Sysrack is the right place to pick an appropriate model. The distributor offers multiple models of different sizes and constructions. Managers will help choose a suitable product for your system.
This group of furniture features solid enclosures with tops and bottoms, doors, and side panels. The range of enclosed cabinets varies greatly, from small desktop ones to huge floor-standing boxes. Their bodies are made of durable metal and have all the needed tech slots for cabling, ventilation tools, etc. Enclosed models are advantageous due to:
- A high level of security. A solid enclosure protects software from external impacts.
- Diverse models of different sizes and constructions.
- High durability and resistance to shocks due to the use of thick metal sheets for cabinet manufacturing.
A high level of protection allows for installing cabinets in open spaces and public establishments, such as hospitals, stores, banks, etc.
Another model among popular network rack types differs in the way of fastening and the place of installation. Such models are attached to vertical surfaces. Due to the loading capacity, the weight and size of housed systems are limited. Such cabinets are more compact; the maximum size of a standard wall model reaches 12U.
What Criteria to Take into Account when Choosing Suitable Network Rack Types
When you plan to buy a server furniture piece and have to select a suitable model, make sure to consider the next parameters:
- Size. Measure the required depth, height, and width to make sure that a cabinet will be spacious enough to house your system. 3D visualization with a digit layout helps cope with this task successfully. Make sure to leave enough space between components to ensure air circulation and prevent overeating. Also, experts recommend adding a quarter or half of free space to foresee future system expansion.
- Weight Capacity. If you choose between, floor-standing wall models, check whether a wall-mount cabinet will be able to support your hardware.
- Flexibility & Manageability. Consider what tech features models have. How can you move it or adjust your needs?
- Cooling Efficiency. If you plan to install the rack in a closed room, prefer an open framework. If not, make sure to equip the cabinet with a sufficient number of fans and other ventilation tools.
- Security. Where will furniture be placed? Enclosed models are required for mounting in public places since they provide better security.
TOP Accessories to be Added to Improve Rack Performance
The following accessories are widely used in racks:
- Power Distribution Units are for sufficient feeding of all units and effective allocation of power.
- Battery Backup allows for securing datum in the case of an emergency unplugging.
- Patch Panels welcome cables and direct them to the needed equipment.
- Cable organizers are for neat wire management and prevention of tangling.
- Environmental Monitoring (sensors and ventilation tools) is for controlling the required climatic conditions inside cabinets.
Different types of server racks are offered in the industry so that every administrator can find a suitable model. Proper equipment allocation and fastening influence system performance and eliminate hazards. Thus, one should approach the
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Stay up-to-date with the latest big data news.